Tuesday 16 January 2007

When a gift moves in a circle

More reflections from "the Gift". I'm getting more & more anxious for my ordered copy to arrive from 'Amazon'.
Anyway, borrowing from Jonny Baker (I know - again!)

From life experience we know that the simplest gift exchange is reciprocal giving. But gift exchange gets more interesting when it moves in a circle. When a gift moves in a circle no one receives from the person they give to. Lewis Hyde says this about it

It's as if the gift goes around a corner before it comes back. I have to give blindly. and I will feel a sort of blind gratitude as well. The smaller a circle is - and particularly if it involves two people - the more a man can keep his eye on things and the more likely it is that he will start to think like a salesman. But so long as the gift passes out of sight it cannot be manipulated.

That really requires some serious thinking!

No comments: