Friday 21 December 2007

"The Advertiser" - venial & mortal sin!

Recent 'articles" and, in particular, cartoons demeaning, belittling, the new Federal Labour Government and its leaders has raised my ire. Using some thoughts from one of my favourite novelists with respect to this Adelaide 'newspaper' I used to think it was OK for Gaynor to buy it so long as I didn't read it. As though, to use a good Roman Catholic analogy, buying it was a venial sin & reading it a mortal. But now I think I've got it the wrong way round because it's a mortal sin to buy it because it encourages them to keep on printing it. And reading it is only a venial sin because it really doesn't have anything of merit to present.

2 comments:

Pip said...

Cancelled our subscription years ago when it started 'bashing' teachers. Anyone who didn't follow suit was and is complicit. If someone recommendeds an article, there are some good guest authors' I scrounge a copy by tearing the page from the discards in the community paper recycling bin. maybe it is also a sin because of the mountain of paper consumed? Read Crikey and New Matilda online, does that save the planet, is the electronic footprint green?
Who will grant me absolution?

Vi King said...

Curse this "rag" , how dare it set about bashing teachers!!! Who taught its readers to read, or didn't they consider that??!!

Given this information I will remove all the issues I have in the recycling bin and make a bonfire of them (of course if it wasn't for the fire ban ... and the resulting contribution to carbon emissions!).

Perhaps I will just follow your sensible example and not buy it in future and read on-line, using carbon off-setting to green my footprint.