Tuesday 20 March 2007

slavery 200 years on...

Have had a "heavy" time in the congregation recently. The issue is all about how we comply/don't comply with regulations re our governing board. O that we might devote as much time and effort to evangelism, mission outreach and all the rest of it. We exhaust ourselves in "stuff" that in the end does not advance our "core business"! I just don't get it, over and over again!

This coming Sunday (25 March) I'm also focussing on the anniversary celebrations of 200 years since the abolition of the slave trade bill was passed in UK law through the House of Lords. The irony is that there are more slaves today than 200 years ago with child soldiers, sex trafficking, and forced labour. I confess my knowledge of the history is very small. Anyhow I'm using material from the "Amazing Grace" site in that the song will be featured strongly in the worship. I'm preaching on God's 'amazing grace' and for the first time I'm going to make an "altar call" of sorts. I know some of this is a response to the goings on re our governing board issue & I hope and pray that I do not misuse the opportunity for personal "anger" but only for the love of the Gospel and a true call to repentance.



No comments: